Monday, February 09, 2009

Victoria burning

I am deeply saddened by the consequences of the fires that have burnt out of control in Victoria for the last few days. I have spent good times and have great affection for a number of towns/hamlets that have been severely damaged by the fires. Marysville, Narbethong, Buxton, Taggerty and the beautiful strip of country at the foot of the Cathedral Range that I love so much will be reconstructing and recovering for many years hence. I feel for the large number of other Victorian communities that are similarly affected. It will take years, if not a lifetime, to relieve the pain associated with the loss of close family and community members. My thoughts are with all Victorians who have lost friends, family, property and treasured environments as a result of this disaster.

No comments: